This is a peruvian “comida criolla” typical dish. This recipe goes to all the lovers of my country’s food: Perú. This Aji de Gallina goes as a special treat to Carolina!
Peruvian Ají de Gallina
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Normal
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- For the broth:
- 1 1/2 hen in quartes
- 1 white onion
- 1 celery stick
- 1 carrot
- For the 'ají':
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste/4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 2 white bread slices soaked in milk
- 8 tablespoons of ají amarillo paste
- 100 gr parmesan cheese
- 4 cups of the broth
- 1 kg baked potatoes
- 4 cooked eggs
- black olives
- salt, pepper and cumin
- 1 teaspoon orégano
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons nuts/pecans
- Put the hen in a skillet with water covering it. Add salt, pepper, celery, carrot and onion. Boil and cook for aproximately 45 minutes. While you are cooking the broth boil the eggs and potatos, and prepare the rice. I usually prefer doing the broth the night before, that way the rest is more straight forward the next day.
- Reserve the broth and shred the hen.
- In another skillet stir-fry the onion with the garlic and add the 'aji', cumin and oregano.
- Cook until the mixture separates from the oil.
- Add the soaked bread (previously processed) and stir in well.
- Start adding the broth, stirring well. Add more milk if necessary. Add salt.
- To this mixture add the shredded hen and stir well, adding more broth and milk if necessary.
- Finally, add the parmesaon cheese and nuts/pecans. Taste for spicy need and salt.
- Serve over a platter with slices of baked potatoes and garnish with boiled eggs and black olives (see picture).
- Serve with rice.
- *Advice: A lot of people cook this plate with chicken instead of hen. However, the flavour that the hen provides and specially the broth is muy more special. Sometimes what I have done if we are many is that I also cook some chicken breasts (they give more quantity) as well. BUT the broth always from the hen!
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 120 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Birds, Criolla en
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.